Clackamas Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
Standing Up for Those Injured by Motorists in the Portland Area
There is no question that pedestrians on the street are no match for motor vehicles. Crashes involving pedestrians often result in them sustaining serious injuries, while the motorist, who almost always is the perpetrator, is able to walk away unscathed. At The Callahan Law Office, our Clackamas pedestrian accident attorney can help you receive compensation for your injuries if you have been hurt in a traffic accident in the Portland area and beyond. We will go up against the at-fault driver and their insurance company on your behalf and take them all the way to court if necessary.
Pedestrian Accident Statistics
Portland recently adopted Vision Zero, a pledge to eliminate all traffic accidents that has been embraced by many cities in Europe and the United States. Through the program, the city has been compiling data on traffic accidents and fatalities for the last decade.
Recent traffic accident statistics involving pedestrians in the Portland area are as follows:
- An average of 13 pedestrians were killed annually between the years 2013 and 2017
- Roughly 34 pedestrians are seriously injured each year
- 70% of pedestrian accidents citywide occur at intersections
- 61% of fatal and severe pedestrian accidents occur after dark or in other low-visibility conditions (such as rain or fog)
- As of 2018, pedestrian fatalities had trended upwards for five years in a row
The Leading Causes of Pedestrian Accidents
The Portland and Clackamas area is very pedestrian-friendly, but this doesn’t mean it is always safe to travel on two feet. Pedestrian accidents are almost always caused by careless or reckless drivers, although factors such as crossing against a traffic signal and inclement weather can also lead to accidents.
Pedestrian accidents are commonly caused by motorists who:
- Fail to yield the right of way to pedestrians
- Run red lights or stop signs
- Are distracted, especially by texting while driving
- Are under the influence of alcohol or drugs (legal or illegal)
If your pedestrian accident was caused by the negligent or wrongful actions of a motorist, you may be able to take legal action. However, the driver who hit you will do everything in their power to absolve themselves of blame. Hiring a lawyer will allow you to build the strongest possible case against them.
An experienced Clackamas pedestrian accident attorney who is familiar with Oregon’s laws and court system will investigate the cause of your accident, collect evidence to back up your claim, and represent you during any required hearings or trials.
We can also help you receive compensation for:
- Past and future medical bills
- Ongoing treatment, such as physical therapy or medication
- Wages you lost from taking time off work to recover
- Pain and suffering you endured
- Punitive damages (in rare cases)
We are here to make sure that you can focus on your recovery rather than deal with insurance companies and legal procedures. Let us work on winning you the compensation you deserve while you take care of yourself.
Throughout the whole process, I felt informed, supported, listened to, and valued.- Marcia H.
Fantastic lawyer- Jesse
Attorney Joshua V. Callahan founded The Callahan Law Office in his home state of Oregon in 2014. Since then he has helped numerous clients in the Clackamas and Portland areas successfully attain the maximum compensation they deserve following motor vehicle, medical malpractice, and other accidents.